To toast almonds you can either sauté in a pan on medium heat
until the nuts smell toasted or in a 325°F oven for 7-10 minutes on a sheet pan.
Be careful as they burn quickly.
1. Preheat oven to 325°F.
2. In a
medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and cocoa.
3. Mix together well.
4. In a large mixing bowl, cream butter, sugar and extract at medium speed.
5. Add the eggs and beat until smooth, approximately 2 minutes.
6. Stir in the
flour mixture until well combined.
7. Fold in almonds. You may substitute almonds
for hazelnuts or chocolate chips.
8. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface.
9. With well floured hands shape the dough into a log 10” X
12" in length by 2" to 3" width.
10. Transfer the
log onto a parchment paper lined sheet pan.
11. Gently flatten the log.
12. Bake 30-35 minutes, until firm to the touch.
13. Remove the pan from the oven to a cooling rack.
14. Reduce oven temp to 275°F,
and allow log to cool for 15 minutes
15. Remove log from parchment, and cut with
a serrated knife into ½” pieces.
16. Place the pieces cut down back onto the parchment
17. Bake for another 15 to
20 minutes or until dry and firm to the touch.
18. Allow to cool completely.
Drizzle the biscotti with melted
white chocolate or dip the ends in dark or milk chocolate, roll in crushed nuts and
allow to cool on a cookie sheet.
Cook Time: 1 hour
- 2 ½ cups flour - 2 tsp baking powder - 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted - 3 tbsp butter
Prep Time: 30 minutes
- 1 cup sugar - 1 ½ tsp
vanilla extract - 3 Large eggs